Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mae Sot: Thai/Burma border

After a 8 hour overnight bus ride, my friend and I show up, with a roll mentality...hence why I look pretty roughed up. Since Mae Sot is the border town with Burma, it has a huge Thai military presence. I forgot my passport (wickedly unintelligent, I know) but managed to pass through 6 military checkpoints on my Canadian friend's passport...I don't know how we pulled it off.


This is under the bridge passing into Burma. You can see Burma on the other side of the river. Our friend who lives here is a former fighter with the Shan army (forced recruitment). He is a recognized refugee but has no citizenship status. He spends all his time promoting human rights for Burmese refugees...an amazing person. He took us to the refugee camp for various Burmese, mostly ethnic minorities. I have no pics of the camp....they made us dinner later....which included pork intenstines...wasn't going to say no!

No comments: