Monday, November 05, 2007

Luk Thung Halloween





If you've been following, you know I've developed a taste for Thai country style...especially Luk Thung music. So for Halloween my friend and I dressed up as Luk Thung dancers. Girls will rock these dresses and then go on stage and do painfully rehearsed moves. Often "girly bars" in the provinces will have girls dancing and singing this music, dressed like this.

My friend and I bought our costumes in the Thai/Burma border town. Of course, all the dresses were waaaaaay too small. The woman was going through them and finally pulled out these perfectly sized dresses: her little girl walks by and declares "UAN" (FAT!!!!!!). I was like "Chaaai...uan!" She looked at me in fear that I knew what she was saying.....

The flags are of the King's regalia. The King rules all. I fear saying anything more.

No comments: